Wednesday, December 11, 2013

How do I love hexagons.....let me count the ways!

Get yourself a cup of something warm and sit back because I've got lots of pictures for you today. I love hexagons. I see fabric and I think.....hexagons! And that is exactly what happened yesterday when I was at Fabricland for their 40% off sale! It is a Canadian chain store but they don't have any mail order services...it is in store shopping only. I saw this fabric and all I could see was fussy cut hexagons! The swirls and flowers and leaves would be great for creating secondary designs! And at 40% off I don't feel guilty cutting into it!


I made myself a window template from a 1" hexagon and positioned it over a flower. What a great centre this would be for a ring of hexagons!


I love this one too! Stunning! Click here to learn more about making window templates and clear templates for fussy cutting.


But this fabric is a larger print and I would like to capture more of the print. I had previously written about constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing hexagons so I decided to construct a shape based on the hexagon that would work for this fabric. I pulled out a sheet of 1" hexagons and I added a triangle to the bottom of the hexagon by extending the lines on the sides.


I cut out this new shape and that produced a little window template that I was able to move around my fabric.


Here are some examples of what I saw!





For now I decided to work with this motif! I then fussy cut six for my block. You can read about how I fussy cut here.


Here they are basting to the papers. You can read the basic of how I English paper piece here.


And now the fun begins! Here is the first arrangement. Nice but I think the centre needs something.


If I were to applique a little circle over the centre it gets more interesting!


Here it is with a little flower in the centre.


How about with a large flower?


Now if we rearrange the shapes so that the points face out this is what we end up with! We could leave it as is or we could add the flowers to the centre to see what happens.


This is what happens. Interesting, no? Interesting YES!




Lets try a dark centre. Nice but now that I've seen little flowers or circles in the centre it looks boring!

So let's jazz it up with a flower


or a circle


 
What would I do with these shapes? I could make a hexagon quilt or I could give them a good pressing with a hot iron and spray starch so that I could remove the basting threads and papers. Then I would just applique them onto square blocks. Add sashings and cornerstones and you would have a lap quilt in no time flat!
 
I hope you feel inspired to look at fabrics in a whole new way. And here's one last tip; if you are going fabric shopping for something that would be suitable for hexagons or diamonds, make yourself some window templates out of cardboard or plastic and keep them in a zip lock bag in your purse. That way you can audition different prints to get some idea about how the fabric might work in a hexagon! That's what I did when I made Mom's Flower Bed. I was able to make almost all of the stars from one fabric!
 
 
Until I post again, happy hexagoning!

21 comments:

  1. Inspirational as always. I used to dismiss large print fabrics, NOT any more :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath I'm telling you.....hexagons make the ugliest of fabrics gorgeous! And large prints especially so!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love it. Hope there is a little something like this in the Quilt along

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Clare - that would be telling! But I'm not saying "no"! Big grin on my face!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic fabric, and as always more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at the fabric for some time and finally I cave it and bought some! I'm doing my bit for the economy!

      Delete
  4. I have not yet tried hexagons, but the couple of posts that I have read of yours-I got so inspired that I ordered a glass 1 1/2 inch template from Val who I met on that big blog hop giveaway. thanks for all the information-are you teacher? if not you should be-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy - once you start on hexagons there's no looking back! You'll be addicted but it is an absolutely delightful addiction! You will also find it is hard to discard small pieces of fabric because they would be great for hexagons!

      Delete
  5. Is there a selvedge on the fabric? I look and look for such fabric and rarely find them, in colours i like? These motifs will be lovely however you use them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is Sheila. It reads C60-20-780 R.E.D. International Textiles Original Designs Exclusive to Fabricland/Fabricville

      Delete
  6. Ok now I want to go to Fabricland lol and I have too much to do. You ALWAYS inspire me.and those are my colours too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that blue gorgeous? I think you should treat yourself to a metre or two of that fabric. It is good for you and good for the economy!

      Delete
  7. It is so worthwhile taking time to play like this, thanks for this inspiring post.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. And you are absolutely correct! Playing with fabric is time well spent. I love making small 3" nine patches with my scraps. I don't worry too much about colour and it is a great way to learn about your fabrics and to come up with some interesting combinations and effects!

      Delete
  8. Love them all. Thanks for the technique for fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Fussy cutting is so much fun and it can create some really interesting effects!

      Delete
  9. What a great post! Very inspiring. And that fabric is fabulous. Did the selvage have the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that fabric wonderful? I see so many possibilities! The selvage reads C60-20-780 R.E.D. International Textiles Original Designs exclusive to Fabricland/Fabricville

      Delete
  10. A FAB fabric for fussy cutting!!! I always have my eye out for them but not so much luck in my area. I hope you'll stop by my monthly hexie party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love this new way with hexagons, I was getting very tired of doing hexies the same six sided shape. Love the fussy cutting too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete